The Rules and Regulations Committee (“Committee”) is a standing committee established by the Board of Directors (“Board”) of the Delaware Interscholastic Athletic Association (“DIAA”) pursuant to 14 Del. C. § 304(2). Created at 14 Del. C. ch. 3, DIAA preserves and promotes the educational significance of interscholastic athletics; ensures that interscholastic sports remains compatible with the educational mission of the member schools; provides for fair competition between member schools; promotes sportsmanship and ethical behavior; establishes and enforces standards of conduct for athletes, coaches, administrators, officials, and spectators; protects the physical well-being of athletes; and promotes healthy adolescent lifestyles.
The Committee is charged with making recommendations to the Board for developing and amending, as necessary, regulations in the following subject areas:
- secondary and middle school interscholastic athletics for schools in Delaware, including:
- regulation of athletic programs of all public schools and nonpublic schools that elect to become member or associate member schools,
- eligibility of students to participate in interscholastic athletics,
- non-school competitions,
- coaches and sports officials of interscholastic sports in Delaware, and
- sanctioning of school team competitions;
- sports over which DIAA has jurisdiction;
- standards of conduct for athletes, coaches, administrators, officials, and spectators; and
- issues involving student athletes’ health and safety in interscholastic athletics, including:
- recognition and management of student athletes exhibiting signs or symptoms consistent with a concussion, and
- awareness, recognition, and management of sudden cardiac arrest in student athletes.
In addition, the Committee shall review suggested changes to existing regulations submitted by member schools, DIAA’s Executive Director, the Secretary of Education, and other DIAA committees and make recommendations to the DIAA Board regarding the suggested changes.
The Board’s Chairperson shall appoint an individual to serve as the Committee’s Chairperson who shall serve for an indefinite period of time. However, the Board’s Chairperson, with the advice and consent of DIAA’s Executive Director, may remove the Committee’s Chairperson.
The Committee’s Chairperson, with the advice and consent of DIAA’s Executive Director, shall appoint individuals to serve on the Committee. Committee members shall be geographically representative and may include administrators, athletic directors, coaches, local school board members, officials, and members of the public. Individuals appointed to serve on the Committee shall serve for an indefinite period of time. However, the Committee’s Chairperson, with the advice and consent of DIAA’s Executive Director, may remove individuals from the Committee.
The Committee shall conduct itself in accordance with the Freedom of Information Act, the Administrative Procedures Act, and the Department of Education’s rules and regulations.
Approved by the Board of Directors on 09/14/2017.