The Sportsmanship Committee (“Committee”) is a standing committee established by the Board of Directors (“Board”) of the Delaware Interscholastic Athletic Association (“DIAA”) pursuant to 14 Del. C. § 304(2). Created at 14 Del. C. ch. 3, DIAA preserves and promotes the educational significance of interscholastic athletics; ensures that interscholastic sports remains compatible with the educational mission of the member schools; provides for fair competition between member schools; promotes sportsmanship and ethical behavior; establishes and enforces standards of conduct for athletes, coaches, administrators, officials, and spectators; protects the physical well-being of athletes; and promotes healthy adolescent lifestyles.
The Committee is charged with:
- investigating and adjudicating reports of sportsmanship violations referred to the Committee by the Executive Director, including:
- requesting reports,
- conducting interviews,
- reviewing such available evidence as the Committee deems necessary to reach a conclusion, and
- imposing penalties as deemed necessary based on the particular circumstances, including reprimand, conditional or restrictive probation, and suspension;
- reviewing incidents of sportsmanship violations referred to the Committee by the Executive Director that are reported each sports season;
- meeting with players or coaches who are ejected for a second time during the same season, the principal or principal’s designee, and the coach (in the case of a player);
- deciding appeals of a contest suspension resulting from a game ejection referred to the Committee by the Executive Director;
- issuing written decisions on matters referred to the Committee by the Executive Director;
- annually determining the DIAA State Champions in Sportsmanship awards; and
- making recommendations to the Rules and Regulations Committee for developing and amending, as necessary, regulations on sportsmanship and ethical behavior.
The Board’s Chairperson shall appoint an individual to serve as the Committee’s Chairperson who shall serve for an indefinite period of time. However, the Board’s Chairperson, with the advice and consent of DIAA’s Executive Director, may remove the Committee’s Chairperson.
The Committee’s Chairperson, with the advice and consent of DIAA’s Executive Director, shall appoint individuals to serve on the Committee. Committee members shall be geographically
representative and may include administrators, athletic directors, coaches, local school board members, officials, and members of the public. Individuals appointed to serve on the Committee shall serve for an indefinite period of time. However, the Committee’s Chairperson, with the advice and consent of DIAA’s Executive Director, may remove individuals from the Committee.
The Committee shall conduct itself in accordance with the Freedom of Information Act, the Administrative Procedures Act, and the Department of Education’s rules and regulations.
Approved by the Board of Directors on 09/14/2017.