The Delaware Department of Education (DDOE) does not issue, maintain, or retain any academic records for nonpublic (homeschool or private) students. This includes, but is not limited to:

  • Curriculum
  • Report cards and promotion
  • Diplomas
  • State Assessments

The DDOE encourages all nonpublic schools to maintain and retain a portfolio and records for their student(s). This academic portfolio may be required by the student’s next step (i.e. college admissions, employer, etc.) or for a special circumstance (i.e. re-entry to a Delaware public school).

Please note, if a student returns to public school in Delaware, it is the public school’s decision which grade level a student is placed when re-enrolled into a public school.


The DDOE does not provide or recommend the curriculum of any nonpublic school.

After opening a nonpublic school, you will be responsible for the courses, course work, materials and supplies needed.

ONLINE SCHOOLS, PROGRAMS, AND/OR CURRICULUMS are not considered a nonpublic school by the DDOE. Online schools, programs, and/or curriculums do not report student enrollment and attendance to the DDOE. As such, your student must be enrolled into an open Delaware nonpublic school. You may then choose to participate in an online school, program, and/or curriculum as long as the nonpublic school remains in an open status with the DDOE.

Report Cards and Promotion to the Next Grade

The DDOE does not issue report cards for any nonpublic school. The DDOE does not determine whether a student is qualified for promotion to the next grade level. Both grading and promotion are determined by primary contact/administrator of the school. This information is not reported to the DDOE. As such, report cards will come from the nonpublic school. Any requests for transcripts cannot be met by the DDOE.

It is up to the nonpublic school to determine promotion criteria and promotion is reported to the DDOE during annual enrollment submission, no later than October 5.


The DDOE does not issue diplomas for any nonpublic school or validate any type of credential provided by those schools. The DDOE does not retain copies of any diplomas for nonpublic students.

The diploma will be issued by the nonpublic school.

Students and parents/guardians may wish to contact a college, university, training program, licensing entities, or employer to determine if they will accept the diploma from a nonpublic school.

Records Retention

The DDOE does not retain nonpublic school records for open or closed schools. We strongly encourage all nonpublic schools to maintain and retain a portfolio and records for their student(s). We also recommend that parents/guardians ensure they retain this information for their student(s) as a student may find they need this information years down the road.

State Assessments

The DDOE does not administer or provide state assessments to nonpublic school students.

There are private options available if you wish to pursue annual testing for you child(ren). Homeschool students are eligible for these private options to take the PSAT, SAT, ACT, and AP exams. The DDOE cannot recommend any specific private option and does not provide funding for assessment tests.