The Delaware Teacher Growth and Support System (DTGSS) replaces the state’s previous DPAS-II system for evaluating classroom teachers beginning in Fall 2022. The Delaware Department of Education (DDOE) engaged in a multi-year process to redesign the rubric so that it best meets the needs of Delaware’s teachers and students. The redesign occurred in the following phases:
- 2018-2019: Rubric design by a Steering Committee of educators
- 2019-2020: Phase I Implementation to test and revise the rubric, determine potential process changes, develop communications, training and resources
- 2020-2021: Transition year to engage a broad group of stakeholders to prepare to pilot the rubric in multiple districts across the state
- 2021-2022: Phase II to test the rubric and proposed process changes in multiple districts across the state
- 2022-2023: Phase III Full implementation of the new system
Two core priorities drove this work during 2020-2021 transition year:
- Engaged stakeholders: Educators were engaged across the state to learn about the redesigned rubric and to begin to build understanding of the rubric content in preparation for broad implementation.
- Prepared, implemented training: In Spring 2021, DDOE began to train educators on DTGSS in participating districts and charters.